Putting Your Best Face Forward by Happiknits


Many years ago, long before knitting was my passion, and pharmacy was my profession, I went to cosmetology school. I had high hopes of doing stage makeup(that never happened). I did, however, land a job at the cosmetic counter in a department store. I sold cosmetics and did some freelance makeover work for large cosmetic companies. I also did makeup application for all of my friends (and their friends) proms, weddings, special events. I even did my own wedding makeup~bindhis included! So now, my job really involves more recommendations on the medicinal side, but I am still in love with the world of cosmetics.

When the fashion design and Lifestyle team put out a call for blog writers I volunteered a monthly post reviewing cosmetic/skin care products, and giving some basic application advice. Us fashionistas need to put our best face forward. This month I am going to start with foundation, because it is the base of all makeup application, the "blank canvas" so to say. I feel it is most important to start with a clean, dry face. Apply moisturizer (I will review skin care in the future) my favorite is Hope in a jar by Benefit. Let the moisturizer sit a couple minutes~

There are two choices for makeup application, the daytime or the nighttime face. I will start with the Daytime face:

1. for the daytime or the summer I love Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. It is a lovely, light way to "erase" any slight skin imperfections and give a move even toned, dewy, youthful look. It also has an SPF. I usually apply this with a makeup sponge and go, or you can use a little translucent powder over it to achieve a more matte look.

2. For the nighttime face the sky is the limit here. This is your chance to be playful! Enjoy your femininity. Here I use Mercier foundation primer first~ this helps to keep your foundation on longer.




-apply any spot concealer to blemishes or scars. I'm a big fan of MAC Select Coverup . This little tube lasts quite awhile and it's virtually invisible once applied.



-next I mix the Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with Mercier Oil Free Foundation in a 1 to 1 ratio. Dab on the foundation and blend, then blend again with a cosmetic sponge. The secret to a flawless, natural looking face is to blend!!!



- Here depending on the amount of "matte" look you wish to achieve you can apply translucent powder (again here I am a big fan of the Mercier line) or if you're really looking to get a matte finish MAC Studio Fix is a great product.


A word here about MAC Studio Fix. This is a great foundation that can be used alone (it is a powder foundation). It is an awesome product if you want a "fast" applying makeup. I use it on work mornings when I'm rushing to get out the door. It is not the best choice when you are having photos taken~ it makes you appear "washed out" and if you have drier skin it can be drying, especially in the winter.

-Remember to blend with a sponge. Don't forget important areas like the neckline, hairline and nostrils. You don't want to see a foundation line anywhere!

One last word here, remember the Golden Rule of being a girl~ No matter how late the evening, or how many cosmopolitans you've had, remove your makeup before going to bed, this is the easiest way to put your best face forward!




0 comments:

Post a Comment